September is Happy Healthy Cat Month, so deemed by the CATalyst Council. The Council’s mission is to ensure all cats are valued and cared for, to that end they have designated an entire month to bringing recognition to the forefront. What do they have to say about ways to ensure your cat is happy and healthy? Here are their top five tips written by CAT Stanley:
1) More attention. Because I am a cat, I am obviously always the center of attention, but during Happy Cat Month I get even more attention and love–almost as much as I deserve!
2) A new toy. Whether it’s homemade (sometimes a toilet paper roll can be cleverly cut so that it wobbles and bounces when I swat it) or store bought, during this wonderful month I get a new toy that will provide me with hours of entertainment.
3) A trip to the veterinarian. I know, it may seem crazy that I would enjoy this or be happy about it, but my semi-annual visit ensures I am healthy and in wonderful physical condition. Plus, I really like my veterinarian and love getting in my carrier and going places. On the other paw, as my human can tell you, I am not happy when I am sick.
4) Learning something new. Every year, I learn a new trick with help from my human. It’s great! I get rewarded for showcasing my stellar problem-solving skills. Last year, I learned to sit for a treat. Who knows what I will learn this year, it could be anything! I saw a cat on the Internet that could play the drums. Just sayin’. …
5) An extra treat, occasionally. If I’m lucky and my trip to the veterinarian goes well, and she says I am at a healthy weight, I get an extra treat or two now and then just because I’m a happy, healthy cat! I generally have to work for it by displaying my impeccable manners and sitting nicely or by practicing my new trick, but man is it worth it! Sometimes my person will hide the treats when I’m not looking so that I can “hunt” for them. It’s so exciting to find a tasty treat I wasn’t expecting. Sucker that I am, I end up searching the whole house to see if the human left others hidden.
These are my favorite things about the month (hint, hint, favorite human).You know your cat and what will make it happy. So during September, show your cat how happy it makes you by giving it a little special attention and loving.
Ultimately we believe that we all love our cats daily and give them extra goodies just because, we don’t really need a month dedicated to this, however, we figure why not remind people that cats need to go to the vet, get treats and toys and can learn tricks too, just like the dog! So here is to giving your feline some extra love and recognition this month!
We had included this video in one of our previous posts, but it is so cute we wanted to include it again. This is a very happy cat, doing lots of fun tricks with her owner: